Programming with CPS on an Asus Eee PC

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Programming with CPS on an Asus Eee PC

Post by fireradio »

Anyone have an Asus Eee laptop running XP that they've used with CPS to program radios? I like the idea of the solid state hard drive in a shop environment. Obviously a USB to RS-232 adapter is required for the older stuff.

I'm just wondering what the performance would be like. Our old laptops are just not up to the task of dealing with these huge XTL/XTS codeplugs!

Thanks for any input!
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: Programming with CPS on an Asus Eee PC

Post by JAYMZ »

The storage drive shouldn't matter much to the CPS. 1s and 0s are the same whether on a hard drive or a solid state drive. The software should be loaded into ram the same as if it were any other PC.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Post by fireradio »

Right, I'm aware of that. I was strictly wondering about performance. I deal with big codeplugs that can really bog down slower machines, and the Eee doesn't have the greatest specs. Just curious if anyone does/has done it.
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

As long as the processor and ram meet minimum spec it'll work. May not be the speediest process in the world... but it would get the job done.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

JAYMZ wrote:As long as the processor and ram meet minimum spec it'll work. May not be the speediest process in the world... but it would get the job done.
As long as the processor is fast enough to run the least stable OS in the world :)
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Cowboy wrote:
JAYMZ wrote:As long as the processor and ram meet minimum spec it'll work. May not be the speediest process in the world... but it would get the job done.
As long as the processor is fast enough to run the least stable OS in the world :)
The sad thing is that of the RSS and CPS that I've seen (as in, what Motorola sends us for the radios we have, which include radios that are not yet released to the public), most of it is in Java. Or rather, MS-JAVA (Java with a lot of dependencies on Microsoft extensions). However, I have had some luck in running the software under the Sun JVM for Linux. From my read on things, I think Motorola could make the software run on any Java platform with enough CPU and RAM, no matter the OS.

However, Motorola is in the same boat any software house is in: too much work, not enough people. I know that were I the program lead at Motorola, I'd be very wary of spending my limited human capital on any project that I could not show a direct payoff for.

So I will once again say what I have said in the past: You want CPS/RSS under That Which Is Not Windows, you need to communicate that fact to Motorola in a credible way, so that they will decide it is worth spending the people on.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”