Antenna dilemma

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kcan146
What radios do you own?: TK-730HG,HT1250,Astro Spectra

Antenna dilemma

Post by kcan146 »

I appear to have run across a dilemma in my antenna setup for my VHF and UHF radios.

My quandary is that I park in a parking garage when I am at school where the clearance is only 7 feet. Now my truck stands at about 6' 8" or so. I also have high power decks for both radios so whatever I use must be able to support 110 watts.

What can I use so I don"t have to remove my antennas every time before I park? I also need a solution for a regular CB radio.

Thanks.

As an edit: my truck is a 1999 Dodge Ram, so fender mounts are not exactly the easiest.
Last edited by kcan146 on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billforbush
New User
What radios do you own?: /\/\ Astro Spectras, XTS5K

Re: Antenna dilemma

Post by billforbush »

Quarterwave whips on l=brackrts in hood/fender edge.
vx7ruser
New User

Post by vx7ruser »

Take a look at this

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/ ... /4852.html

motorized mount
HarrisonRHW
What radios do you own?: Waris Stuff

Post by HarrisonRHW »

Other options -

-Quarterwaves in rear stake mounts, you can use extended brackets if you have a cap or bed cover from somewhere like FireStik
-Glass antennas that can fold down.
-Ham antennas that can tune to your bands with fold down.
-Turn down the power and use Phantoms - the only system I know of that absolutely needed 100W or more (and even then it didn't) was a wide area system in Ohio that was simplex, covered 556 sq miles. Hate that system. Then again, you could be on that kind of system too, but assess if you need 100W. Most cases you would be surprised. A minimally designed system should have 95%+ coverage if not 100% of mobiles at 25W, but ideally it should have 90% coverage of mobiles in an uncovered area. Again, it all depends on how the system is actually used.
-Park somewhere else. :D
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

As it just so happens, Larsen makes a custom NMO fender bracket for the Dodge Ram. See here. That particular bracket is spec'd for 2002 and up, but you should be able to get it to fit on yours.

I would go with a pair of these up top, but that's just me. :lol:

As for the chicken band antenna, 102'' whip off the back bumper? Or if you don't want to go that route, Wilson 2000 Trucker behind the cab.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”