Radio Interference 154.....

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JD

Radio Interference 154.....

Post by JD »

I have found that when I program Kenwood TK2160, Motorola CP200,or Vertex 924 on 154.2350 Mhz. they all will open up on this frequency when in the shop. It sounds like squelch noise, also did it the other day on a mobil, Vertex VX 2200. (3 computers in the shop running at all times .)

Any one else experience this ?

Thanks.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Radio Interference 154.....

Post by Tom in D.C. »

My Dell Dimension 110 does the same thing on many frequencies, such
as 146.91, 146.52, etc. The computer is an RF signal generator, but the
signals are low level so pretty short range. Everyone who owns a computer
and handles RF receivers experiences this phenomenon.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

the biggest offender are DSL modems and wireless routers, particularly the Linksys WRT54GS I use- it generates enough garbage on VHF to make anything but moderate to strong signals unintelligible. I did reduce alot of the noise by lining the case with foil tape and grounding it, as well as terminating unused Ethernet connectors on the switch. Just one of the downsides of all this computer gear and radio- they don't always mix.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Avaya IP business phones we use at work are another big one. They generate all over the VHF band. And at a decent distance too.
JD

Post by JD »

Thanks for all the help, I have a wireless router, same model as above and a Dell computer.
Cowboy

Post by Cowboy »

JD wrote:Thanks for all the help, I have a wireless router, same model as above and a Dell computer.
Easy tester if you're lacking a receiver and step attenuator...

Take you handheld radio, remove the antenna and see if you still have the noise...

If you do, place the radio in a large metal coffee can and cover the top with tin foil... If it goes away, slowly walk around the items that may offend the radio until the noise kicks up again... Should be fairly focussed... If you still can't hear anything with the radio in the can, remove the tin foil and point the open end of the can towards computers, test equipment, lights, whatever else that might be causing the RFI...

I have a CATV CLI leakage meter that operates around 137 MHz that works wonderfully for finding RFI from power, computers or actual signal leakage...

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”