when should a radio be aligned

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dbfd588
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale

when should a radio be aligned

Post by dbfd588 »

when should a radio be aligned. does it have to be done if I recase my radio or what. i really dont understand. if i recase should i take the radio and have it aligned?
Jim2121
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: A few! Most I sign out!

Re: when should a radio be aligned

Post by Jim2121 »

dbfd588 wrote:when should a radio be aligned. does it have to be done if I recase my radio or what. i really dont understand. if i recase should i take the radio and have it aligned?
If theres a TX and/or RX problem, power problem, and the ones that get dropped, or if its out of alignment, or if you sell it? it don't work right! off frequency, any one of 100 probs or more. If your careful doing a recase on a radio it should not need to go on a service monitor.
If you need help ie: recase a model -- post your question here.
Messages can't be intercepted if they aren't sent, can they?
Erwin Rommel
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Anytime a radio comes across my bench it goes on the service monitor as well, if it's out of tune then I try to bring it back. It looks good on the work ticket, though I find less than about 5% of radios are actually out of factory spec
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

got a pr400 that could use a face lift. any tips
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

dbfd588 wrote:got a pr400 that could use a face lift. any tips
Call Parts ID, buy the proper parts, and swap them out?

As for aligning it - a calibrated service monitor, proper cables and alignment software, and a clue are prerequisites.
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

As for aligning it - a calibrated service monitor, proper cables and alignment software, and a clue are prerequisites.
I ask when, not what was needed....
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

As far as the recase. Arent their some speacial tools?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

dbfd588 wrote:

I ask when, not what was needed....
Your initial question, yes. Your second question related to a face lift on a PR400.

As for when to align it? Any time you suspect a problem, any time the radio crosses a bench, and as part of a planned preventative maintenance routine - typically yearly.
dbfd588

Post by dbfd588 »

Ok cool. I got another ht1250 coming, it just came back from the depot for volume issues, so it should be good for a while, as im sure they aligned it, i would assume. Is their anyone on here that would let me ship them my pr after I recase it to align it for a fee? Because Im not sure I trust my local shops..
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

dbfd588 wrote:I got another ht1250 coming, it just came back from the depot
for volume issues, so it should be good for a while, as im sure they
aligned it, i would assume.
'nuff said.

As for re-casing a PR400, the cases come either as seperate pieces (you need to know exactly which parts you need), or as a complete assembly with a speaker and microphone in it (well, almost complete.. they leave off the "PR400" label so you have to get that seperately or try to reuse your old one).

There's a tool for taking the housing and knobs off, but it can be done without the tool, it just makes it easier and lessens the chance of damage.
Last edited by jackhackett on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

jackhackett wrote:
dbfd588 wrote:I got another ht1250 coming, it just came back from the depot
for volume issues, so it should be good for a while, as im sure they
aligned it, i would assume.
'nuff said.

As for re-casing a PR400, the cases come either as seperate pieces (you need to know exactly which parts you need), or as a complete assembly with a speaker and microphone in it (well, almost complete.. they leave off the "PR400" label so you have to get that seperately or try to reuse your old one).

There's a tool for taking the housing and knobs off, but it can be done with without the tool, it just makes it easier and lessens the chance of damage.
What tool are you using for the knobs?
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Rayjk110 wrote: What tool are you using for the knobs?
It's a case opening tool from Moto, one end opens the housing, the other end takes the knobs off.. I think the part number is 6686533Z01 but I'd have to verify that...

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”