Motorola Syntor X9000, low power issue

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

BigMac711
New User

Motorola Syntor X9000, low power issue

Post by BigMac711 »

Had a Syntor X9000 installed in my tuck today, already had the radio and just had it installed. After installation and programing it is only transmitting at 25 watts. They removed the SecureNet board but that didn't make any difference. I got it several years ago and never installed it, I don't even remember who I bought it from. Radio is a T99KX+037W. I asked about a low power setting and the shop said there wasn't on this model. It was programmed to our frequencies and they triple checked all of the settings, they spent hours trying to figure it out.

I spent more than I wanted to and came away with a 25 watt radioAny ideas?
akardam

Re: Motorola Syntor X9000, low power issue

Post by akardam »

SWR mismatch? Failing PA? Improper power tuning?
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

What is the ID # ? That is the true model number. It could be a 30 Watt radio. If it is a HP unit had you tested it before and confirmed that it was putting out the correct power? After the install was the power out tested into a dummy load, or the antenna? What is the voltage at the radio in RX, and TX(both with engine off, and with it running)?

Jim.
BigMac711
New User

Post by BigMac711 »

T73KXJ7J04BK, they didn't test it on the bench, just put a meter in line after installation.
Terry_Glover

Post by Terry_Glover »

T73 should be a 50/100 watt model IIRC.
Terry
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

T73 is a high power VHF. If the voltage is good in the truck, then it need to be checked on the bench. It could be the power is just turned down (that is done by a marked pot inside the radio), but I doubt that is the case. If the radio works fine It should be able to put out 110 Watts with ease installed correctly. I used to run one on my base at 145 Watts on the ham band and it never gave me a problem at all for years. The power supply would heat up more than the radio. It was still working just fine when I replaced it with an Astro Spectra.

Jim
Bat2way

Post by Bat2way »

BigMac711 wrote:T73KXJ7J04BK, they didn't test it on the bench, just put a meter in line after installation.
Not something I ever wanted to see on my bench either. Hate to see good money wasted on these units. We have junked plenty, replacing them with Kenwoods. ZERO problems now.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

The X9000 draws a crap load of current at full power. Any chance that the shop connected the hi current lines to some point on the fuse panel? Did they use too small of wire to handle the current?

Had to service a UHF X9000 radio many moons ago. Did the same thing you are seeing. Found the problems I stated above. Fixed those and BAM! (as Emeril says....)

Dave

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”