5.8 Ghz Links - Half Duplex or Full Duplex

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

5.8 Ghz Links - Half Duplex or Full Duplex

Post by mrtor »

While this is not specifically a Motorola question, I am hoping someone can assist.
I want to run audio to and audio from a continuous transmit base station via a wireless IP link operating at 5.8Ghz. The analogue audio to IP conversion is via some of the Barix products which work really well.

The wireless link product is called a AW5800T from avalan wireless. The product appears to operate as Half Duplex and not Full Duplex. Will this work seamlessly so I can get continous send and receive audio or am I going to get drop outs ? Seems logical to me that I will get drop outs, however the supplier is telling me that it will work no problems.

Maybe a dumb question, but I thought half duplex meant that it could only TX in one direction and receive at the other on session at a time. Or is it that an the world of IP that it's happening so fast you will never notice it ?

I don't want to outlay the $2K + shipping for the product if it won't suit the application.
Thank you in advance
Michael
FMROB

Re: 5.8 Ghz Links - Half Duplex or Full Duplex

Post by FMROB »

I think that your thoughts are correct. If the item is listed as half duplex, than usually that is what it is. For your application you are going to need a full duplex radio link.

Stay away from the ip based micro links and conversions panels if you can. There is alot of latency when the ip to ip conversion is done.

If you are going to waste 2K on all that equipment, buy something that is going to work out of the box, that emulates a wireline right out of the shipping container with no extra components and very low latency

http://www.carlsonwireless.com/products ... cement.php

Great stuff, The last time I priced it out all the bells and whistles with parabolics, battery back up, for 8 lines 4.9,hz was about 6k a hop full duplex
mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

Post by mrtor »

Thank you for your response FMROB, at least I know that I was on the right track.

There are so many of these links available from the USA, I just wanted to get something that would work right out of the box.

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Regards
Mike

FMROB wrote:I think that your thoughts are correct. If the item is listed as half duplex, than usually that is what it is. For your application you are going to need a full duplex radio link.

Stay away from the ip based micro links and conversions panels if you can. There is alot of latency when the ip to ip conversion is done.

If you are going to waste 2K on all that equipment, buy something that is going to work out of the box, that emulates a wireline right out of the shipping container with no extra components and very low latency

http://www.carlsonwireless.com/products ... cement.php

Great stuff, The last time I priced it out all the bells and whistles with parabolics, battery back up, for 8 lines 4.9,hz was about 6k a hop full duplex
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Post by George »

[quote="mrtor"]Thank you for your response FMROB, at least I know that I was on the right track.

There are so many of these links available from the USA, I just wanted to get something that would work right out of the box.

Thanks for taking the time to answer

Regards
Mike

[quote="FMROB"]I think that your thoughts are correct. If the item is listed as half duplex, than usually that is what it is. For your application you are going to need a full duplex radio link.

[url]http://www.carlsonwireless.com/products ... cement.php[/url]

Great stuff, The last time I priced it out all the bells and whistles with parabolics, battery back up, for 8 lines 4.9,hz was about 6k a hop full duplex[/quote][/quote]

Half duplex is not a bad thing.

What this means is, yes, it's half duplex but they insert delay to make it look like it's full duplex. When one end is transmitting, the other end receives, but it's in little tiny pieces. By doing this really fast, you get the effect of full duplex with about 30 ms delay.

There's nothing wrong with this method. I am moving T1 circuits by 5.8GHz. It will work fine in your application.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

If he plans on doing any sort of voting it will not work. If there is any considerble delay the system will be off, and will not vote properly. Just as an FYI, but I don't think that he was looking to vote.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”