Astro alignment

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

GlennD

Astro alignment

Post by GlennD »

I have two service monitors. I have a HP 8920A and a IFR 3920 in my screen room. I really really hate the fans in the IFR. Even with the fans in low after a work day it makes my ears hurt. This makes the HP my primary monitor.

This said it has been a little slow lately and I have been practicing aligning my XTS5000. I have found to my dismay I just can not get get the alignment perfect with the HP. On the IFRs constellation I just can not get the orange bars into the target circle. The HPs dev readings are not precise enough. Aligning the radio with the IFR I can get the orange bars centered.

I have found I must put up with the 747 landing sound to get the precision to correctly align an Astro radio.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Astro alignment

Post by Wowbagger »

GlennD wrote:I have two service monitors. I have a HP 8920A and a IFR 3920 in my screen room. I really really hate the fans in the IFR. Even with the fans in low after a work day it makes my ears hurt. This makes the HP my primary monitor.

This said it has been a little slow lately and I have been practicing aligning my XTS5000. I have found to my dismay I just can not get get the alignment perfect with the HP. On the IFRs constellation I just can not get the orange bars into the target circle. The HPs dev readings are not precise enough. Aligning the radio with the IFR I can get the orange bars centered.

I have found I must put up with the 747 landing sound to get the precision to correctly align an Astro radio.
If you go into setup, you can switch the fans to be thermally controlled, and that will cut a lot of the noise.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Not precise enough? I've aligned several Astro radios using my 8921 with no issues... they check good on a 3920 and/or 2975, and function properly on Astro systems. Perhaps you have something wrong with your 8920?
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I can get them to be as accurate as a XTS3000 but the 5000 has finer adjustments and the manual says the dev should be 2.83 Khz plus or minus .05 Khz and there is too much uncertainty with the HP even set to slow.

Wowbagger, In my opinion the 3920 is not usable in the shop unless the fans are set to low and then it still is too noisy in my 8x8 ft screen room.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

In further testing I can use my favored HP8920A just as accurate as the Aeroflex 3920 if i set the dev to peak mx hold in the AF analyzer screen. It is not as convienent since I have to use the meas reset button after each adjustment but it works fine.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”