DC power on Quantar. Fails clearing??

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

DC power on Quantar. Fails clearing??

Post by randymince »

Recently connected -48 DC power to DC power supply on Quantar repeater. Upon connecting, led lights were lighting up even without the power switch in the on position. After rolling back to AC Station/PA fail were present, upon connecting via RSS it said there was no codeplug present. After a period of around 12 hrs, all the fails have cleared, and the repeater is functioning correctly back on AC.

How can power cause fails and is there something with hardware changes that disables the RSS feature? What could cause the fails to clear?

What other changes need to happen to make the switch to DC work with the Quantars? The only thing I noticed in the RSS was DC Hi/Lo, what is that exactly? It can't deal with rf power out, so I was wondering its purpose. Is there any strapping on the actual DC power supply or in the Quantar that needs to be adjusted before switching over to DC?

Currently in the Quantars there are both AC and DC power options available, but we have the standalone DC power supplies on hand also, so which is preferred for use?

Any help would be appreciated.
...And that's how radios work
randymince
What radios do you own?: MOTO,HARRIS,TELEX,RAYTHEON,GD

Re: DC power on Quantar. Fails clearing??

Post by randymince »

An update, rolled to a stand alone DC power supply and upon inserting it showed the same PA/Station Fail, after 2 hours of cycling, like the Quantar was resetting, it cleared all faults and is working properly. What is the cause for the constant cycling and the fails clearing themselves? The repeater is functioning properly, but I want to know if hardware changes can conflict with firmware, etc. When looking at the hardware tab on RSS it still shows AC power connected, so that's why I thought it was an older firmware from the Quantar that might not auto detect the DC power supply. I just want to know what could cause the constant resetting and clearing of the fails after a hardware change such as the power supply. This is the only repeater out of 15 that had the same hardware change done to them that is having issues. At this point I am thinking if I can't get a solid answer I will replace the repeater with a spare to avoid any further complications, but I wanted to see if anybody had run into similar problems.
...And that's how radios work
maverick15951

Post by maverick15951 »

Yeah ... hmm what firmware version are u using?? prob a pretty old one the versioning is like 20.14.02 now
Ali Abbassi

Post by Ali Abbassi »

You need to select the proper power supply type in the service section of the RSS , this selection is about the type of the power supply that is installed on the station, the power supply's input could be AC or DC , High or Low , AC power supply could be with or w/o Battery charger, you need to make this selection properly ,and then press F8 for validation , if selection matches what station controler sees ,then all will be fine.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”