Stripping PL tones

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rescuer
What radios do you own?: APX7000, XPR7550, PR400

Stripping PL tones

Post by rescuer »

Recently assisted a neighboring department with Quik-Call tones, and came across a problem. Whoever set up their remote paging console had the unit strip PL when transmitting their QC tones. Of course the Minitor V's would activate appropriately on the Talk-around frequency, however when paging through the repeater, the repeater wouldn't activate without the correct PL. Corrected the PL problem and everything works. This got me wondering:

Why would you want to strip the PL when sending Quik-Call tones? It's an option in the RSS so it must serve some purpose.

Again, it's not a problem, I was just curious.

Thanks,
Zack08

Re: Stripping PL tones

Post by Zack08 »

I've wondered this, too. I always thought that it was so the people monitoring the channel didnt have to listen to all the tones drop, but could still hear everything else. Thats my guess. 8)
MOTO_LR

Re: Stripping PL tones

Post by MOTO_LR »

We have typically used the "Strip PL feature" for selective activation of individual functions. For example, to activate a door opening, turn ON or OFF lights, turn ON a Weather siren, etc., you probably would not want everyone's squelch to open (audio turn ON) just to hear the tones. Of course, if you are using a Minitor-type receiver in the monitor mode, you are going to hear the tones anyway. But your portables, mobiles, bases, etc. that have PL receivers will not be disturbed by the paging tones.

We had one user with a simplex business system that issued pager's to each employee. The standard voice communications on the channel was PL. Each pager had an individual two-tone sequence and was used in the tone only mode (not tone/voice). The business wanted the ability to alert the pager without opening the audio on the mobile & portable radios, therefore, no PL when paging.

Bob

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”