MSF5000 CW ID Level

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

w8drz
New User

MSF5000 CW ID Level

Post by w8drz »

I have a MSF5000 Digital Capable station just up and running on the ham band
using the internal controller. And have read all the good work on repeater builder by Bob WA1MIK
and plan to add an external controller sometime in the near future.
All is working well thanks to Chris Mize WD8OCS.

My question is, is there a way to turn down the CW ID level? :o

Many Thanks

Jim W8DRZ
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Re: MSF5000 CW ID Level

Post by N4DES »

Yes there is a way as I did it to a station a number of years ago.
What I had to do was to increase the size of the SMD resistor on the TTRC board where the CWID is generated.
Unfortunately I don't have access to the original schematic so I can't tell you which one it is, but is has been done.

Mark
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

KS4VT wrote:..on the TTRC board where the CWID is generated.
Are you sure about that? I have one running with no TTRC board installed and it still generates OTA CW ID.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

Well like I said it has been a number of years since I have touched it and we only had 2 MSF's in the fleet.
He really needs to breakout the schematic for his particular unit and I was only pointing out that it has been done.

One thing for sure, the CWID blasted at full system deviation is overkill!
w8drz
New User

Post by w8drz »

The msf is new to me, and I do have the correct book.
Just lots to wade through, still looking for the correct spot
to trim the Id level.
73'
Jim
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I would like to go the opposite way from most people and have my stations not strip PL on the CW ID, if anyone's messed with that. From what I've read, though, it looks to be either un-doable or not worth the trouble.
George
What radios do you own?: X9000, HT1550XLS, MTS2000, etc

Post by George »

[quote="motorola_otaku"]I would like to go the opposite way from most people and have my stations [i]not[/i] strip PL on the CW ID, if anyone's messed with that. From what I've read, though, it looks to be either un-doable or not worth the trouble.[/quote]

Can't be done. Hard coded into firmware.
d119

Post by d119 »

George wrote:
motorola_otaku wrote:I would like to go the opposite way from most people and have my stations not strip PL on the CW ID, if anyone's messed with that. From what I've read, though, it looks to be either un-doable or not worth the trouble.
Can't be done. Hard coded into firmware.
Sure it can be done. Program the station for CSQ on transmit, and use a ComSpec SS-64 or some sort of outboard PL encoder to handle the transmitter PL. Station comes up to ID, external PL encoder sends PL. I believe the SS-64 will encode reverse burst as well, so you won't end up losing that feature. I believe to make it work, you need to route PTT through the SS-64, but that's not difficult to do.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”