My chevy impala 2000 setup

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Carl

My chevy impala 2000 setup

Post by Carl »

take a look at my equipement... not too expensive but works great, i will try to post a picture of the car later.

1 remote mount GM300 UHF 16ch 40Watts
1 remote mount GM300 VHF 16ch 40Watts
all have external speaker under the dash
1 Compaq Presario 1210 Pentium 166mhz
1 Garmin GPS E-Trex Legend plugged into the laptop
1 GP300 UHF 8ch with the charger on the trunk
and finaly a Vertex VX-150 VHF handheld

kc8svs
No Longer Registered

Post by kc8svs »

I'm totally digging the hide away mobiles in the armrest. I don't know mobiles too well, but are those faceplates remotely mounted in there adn then mounted in the trunk? That's really cool.

All you need now is a stand or dock for the laptop. You'll be on your way!
M.A. Baker

Wrecker Diver
Nextel, how business gets fu*ked up!
Carl

Post by Carl »

I get this original motorola remote mount kit in a police car who upgrade to digital. a 17feet IDE cable (plugged into the radio in the trunk) link the control head to the radio. i put those head in the armest beacause my local police are totally :o up, they said thats illegal blah blah blah... in canada CRTC and Industrie Canada said its legal...but... the second reason is because it looks clean, i :x too see loose wire on the floor. The sound quality is excellent, i got 2 external speaker under the dash. i will try to post more photos later

Carl
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Nice install. Only question is do I see a power inverter to step up the DC to 120V to then
feed a rapid charge transformer for a HT charger ?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yes ! i got 2 110v output on this 400watts power inverter, one for the laptop and the other for my GP300 1hour fast charger
jim

Post by jim »

Be careful with that power inverter. The "not so sine" wave output of these is VERY famous for burning up power supplies for computers. They also don't make most transformers happy with their almost 100% peak-to-peak output.
Carl

Post by Carl »

for occasional use too ? i use my power inverter only when my gp300 is dead or 2-3 hours per week for my laptop. is it dangerous ?
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

I believe that transformer for the GP300 is 13.8v 1.5amp output, why not take the
vehicle 13.8 DC and run it right to the charging cup ? (Don't really need to take the
DC up to 120v AC and bring it back down to to 13.8 DC) minor point but this would simplify things a bit and leave less room for a problem.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”