Pager for NOAA weather RX

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ledzep11
What radios do you own?: MT500 with MODAT

Pager for NOAA weather RX

Post by ledzep11 »

Some time ago, I had an old pageboyIII crystaled up on 162.475 NOAA. Well, it became MIA in a snow removal effort. Any suggestions on a Motorola VHF pager (preferably a programmable one) that would meet this requirement? I have noticed that a lot of them cut off at around 159 MHz. Another good question is if a programmable unit would offer a custom tone decode feature which would decode the 1050 Hz tone for severe wx alerts...
WB4UMR
chrismoll12

Re: Pager for NOAA weather RX

Post by chrismoll12 »

There are Minitor's that have the split
C: 159 ~ 166.9975 MHz
If only you could find one somewhere
You program the 1050 as a long tone
res6cue

Post by res6cue »

Director II's make a good NOAA pager. Check with Gerry at G&G, he usually sells them complete with the 1050 filter, battery and charger. They're obviously not programmable, but the II series is rock solid and has better reception than anything new out there.

http://www.gcomradio.com/pager.html
Jim1348

Pager for NOAA Weather RX

Post by Jim1348 »

That is not a bad way to go. At one point I had thought of getting a two channel scanning pager. I would have weather for one channel with 1050 hZ and my local fire department as the other channel with their all call. However, 154.785 to 162.550 might be a bit much for some pagers I suspect. It looks like that it two different splits for many Motorola pagers.
res6cue

Post by res6cue »

154 - 162 is definitely an issue for most pagers. The highest you can push a 151 - 159 Minitor V is to 159.5975. You'd have better results tuning a crystallized II series with that split, but of course the II would require an aftermarket board to scan.

All of that is moot, of course, since the NOAA frequencies have a constant carrier. I'm not even sure a Minitor V with Silent Scan enabled would be effective if the carrier never drops and keeps the receiver locked up.
yardbirdjr

Post by yardbirdjr »

contact the following company they sell Minitor II's already set up for the application you are looking for.

The company is G & G communications

I have no idea about the web address.

Try google it should take you there

David

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”