XTL 1500

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radioguruphil

XTL 1500

Post by radioguruphil »

Can I make a repeater out of two XTL 1500's and rund them in ADP all the time ?
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Re: XTL 1500

Post by ai4ui »

Yes, it will work for however long it takes for the PA to burn up. The XTL1500 mobile is not intended or designed for continuous duty transmitting. The audio will be harsh due to double vocoding.

After a little while you will be looking for a different solution because overall performance will be disappointing.

If you have to run digital, you would be better off looking into a digital repeater. If a Quantar won't fit your budget, Relm BK, E.F. Johnson, and Daniels, as well as other manufacturers, make digital repeaters that are significantly cheaper than a Quantar. Cheaper is not always better, but sometimes it's just as good.
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
radioguruphil

Post by radioguruphil »

Thank you for the quick reply. I need to have AVP as this will be used for police type sneaky stuff. We are using simplex right now. Mobile 2 mobile almost works throughout the town,
I wanted a repeater if we get portables.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I would be really curious to know how someone would hook up two XTL1500s in a repeater configuration without having double vocoder problems. You cannot just RICK together two P25 radios.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

ohr cohmer ohn itwirl ba fine
Wile E. Coyote
What radios do you own?: The best that low bid can buy.

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

If budget is of major concern, along with double vocoder (etc...) We found the Tait 9100 series base does the trick for about half the cost of a Quantar. Normally I would go with Motorola. But in a pinch it's not bad.

-WEC
"The bitterness of poor quality lingers longer than the sweetness of low cost"
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I was talking to someone on here (really don't remember who it was) that have done back to back XTL's without a problem. I am trying to figure out who it was and how it was done..but IIRC it wasn't hard to do.

TPG here did the same with Maxtrac's that also work well for non-PS applications
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

I've connected a XTL to a Quantar via an external controller as an emergency IO patch - digital on the XTL and analog on the Quantar. It worked well and didn't sound too bad. I wouldn't doubt that it's doable and it wouldn't be hard at all. Other than duty cycle, the only problems would be any audio flaws from the receiver would be multiplied by the transmitter as a result of double vocoding and there would be a huge delay as the audio was processed four times. By the time "don't shoot, I'm coming out" came through, you'd be out and shot.
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You could use the maxtrac repeater design...it will pass the P25 with or without ADP, and no double vocoding. I wouldn't normally recommend the set-up for public safety, but since you're already looking at a home-brew solution, what the hell.

I also read a post on here sometime in the last year or so where someone bypassed some of the MTR2000 internals by running the discriminator output directly into the flat TX input & it passed P25 as well...I'd feel a whole lot better with that scenario for a home-brew solution.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
radioguruphil

Post by radioguruphil »

Thanks for all the comebacks. If it happens it won't be used enough to worry about any duty cycle issues.
Terriers618
was Jason618
What radios do you own?: Motorola Syntor X9000.....

Post by Terriers618 »

I have ricked together two XTL1500s to create a P25 repeater which works beautifully. It is a non life safety operations channel. I modified the RICK cables to interface with the XTL's. For obvious reasons the unit IDs won't pass through nor will any type of encryption. If we wish to run encryption we must put the TX side in secure mode. Not a bad setup to test a digital like system. The audio quality is a little less than a true P25 repeater but hardly noticeable. I set the rick to 0 hang time to avoid too much continuous wear on the PA.
Boxk
New User

Post by Boxk »

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”