Spectra+ (Spectra Plus) Scan List Problem

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Spectra+ (Spectra Plus) Scan List Problem

Post by fireradio »

Hi all,

I didn't see this specific problem brought up when I did a quick search, so forgive me if it has.

I've got a Spectra+ that is only letting me choose (trunking) scan list members using the control head if the talkgroups happen to be within the first 15 positions of whatever personality they're in.

For example, Channel A is in Zone 1, Channel 1, but it is in Personality 3, Talkgroup position 16. It won't let me add it to an otherwise empty scan list. But Channel B, Zone 1, Channel 2 in Personality 3, Talkgroup position 15 will add to the scan list just fine.

What gives? I've never seen this before. The CPS seems to let me pick whatever I want to scan, but it is frustrating that I can't do this from the control head.

Spectra+ Host 3.00.02
DSP 3.00.00
4 Meg
DES-OFB, DES-XL 5.04.01
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
Jim202

Re: Spectra+ (Spectra Plus) Scan List Problem

Post by Jim202 »

First of all and I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a Spectra Plus. I have heard of an Astro Spectra Plus
and actually have one.

Second, my first thought is that the radio may not be set up for what sounds like operator selected scan.

Most of the Motorola radios have a 15 or 16 channel limit to the number of channels that can be in a scan list.
You might have to read the radio and see just how your radio has been set up for scan. Normally I find that
a fixed scan list fits my applications much better than an operator list. However different people use radios
differently. With as many radios I use on a daily basis, trying to remember what radios are set up for what
kind of scan and so on becomes a real effort. So I just group the channels to location use and service use.
That way all the scan lists are set up and I don't have to worry about it. Just hit DEL for a channel that is
a pest. It comes back the next time you change a zone or power cycle the radio.

Jim

fireradio wrote:Hi all,

I didn't see this specific problem brought up when I did a quick search, so forgive me if it has.

I've got a Spectra+ that is only letting me choose (trunking) scan list members using the control head if the talkgroups happen to be within the first 15 positions of whatever personality they're in.

For example, Channel A is in Zone 1, Channel 1, but it is in Personality 3, Talkgroup position 16. It won't let me add it to an otherwise empty scan list. But Channel B, Zone 1, Channel 2 in Personality 3, Talkgroup position 15 will add to the scan list just fine.

What gives? I've never seen this before. The CPS seems to let me pick whatever I want to scan, but it is frustrating that I can't do this from the control head.

Spectra+ Host 3.00.02
DSP 3.00.00
4 Meg
DES-OFB, DES-XL 5.04.01
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

It would be an Astro Spectra +, but thats beside the point. I have little experience with scan on them, but I will tell you that is ancient firmware, and it could be a bug in that.
fireradio
Batboard $upporter

Post by fireradio »

Sorry, Astro Spectra Plus; just use to calling them "Spectras" and "Spectra Pluses" since nobody around here has used an original Spectra for ages.

I wrote the codeplug, so I know that it is set up for operator selected scan. Not to mention it will let me add certain talkgroups (as long as they are in a position <= 15 in whatever personality they're in), but not others (positions >15).

I know its pretty old firmware, so I'm guessing it is a bug, but I was just hoping that it wasn't, since I spent a lot of time writing this code plug for a specific function/radio. Argh!
Jim202 wrote:First of all and I may be wrong, but I have never heard of a Spectra Plus. I have heard of an Astro Spectra Plus
and actually have one.

Second, my first thought is that the radio may not be set up for what sounds like operator selected scan.

Most of the Motorola radios have a 15 or 16 channel limit to the number of channels that can be in a scan list.
You might have to read the radio and see just how your radio has been set up for scan. Normally I find that
a fixed scan list fits my applications much better than an operator list. However different people use radios
differently. With as many radios I use on a daily basis, trying to remember what radios are set up for what
kind of scan and so on becomes a real effort. So I just group the channels to location use and service use.
That way all the scan lists are set up and I don't have to worry about it. Just hit DEL for a channel that is
a pest. It comes back the next time you change a zone or power cycle the radio.

Jim

fireradio wrote:Hi all,

Spectra+ Host 3.00.02
DSP 3.00.00
4 Meg
DES-OFB, DES-XL 5.04.01
OSS
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Have you checked to see that each personality is pointed to the list?

I would say that it is the ancient firmware. The oldest AS+ I've had was firmware R4 and I didn't have any problems with scan. Multi-system scan didn't work, but that was about it.

They are up to Host 9 and DSP 12 on 4-meg radios. You would need CPS9 or 12, but it would probably solve your issue without a doubt.

-Josh
fireradio
Batboard $upporter

Post by fireradio »

FYI - for anyone in the future who may run into this problem: I just upgraded to host 9.00.13 and dsp 12.00.04, and the issue disappeared. Looks like it was a firmware bug as suspected!
OSS
p25ron
New User

Post by p25ron »

Also FYI for archiving purposes, the 8MB version of the AS+ is up to R09.20.17 and DSP R12.00.05. The 8MB vocon part number is HLN6837E. It was released in fall 2008. AS+ shows "8MEG" in service mode.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”