Motorola MW-520 Operating System?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wolverine
New User

Motorola MW-520 Operating System?

Post by Wolverine »

I have a Motorola MW-520, here's what i know about the unit: P3 500mhz, 128 MB Ram with a 10GB hard drive. It is Windows 98 SE coded and only boats up in BIOS since their is no operating system installed.

Can i install a copy of Windows 98 SE on cd using an exterinal cd drive with this computer?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: Motorola MW-520 Operating System?

Post by Pj »

Depends on the firmware. "Newer" 5203 firmware I believe allowed USB CD boot, and possibly flashdrive boot, but its not as reliable as the 5205 USB support. Being a P3 500, you should have a 5205 CPU, and will take upto 256mb of PC100? ram.

As it uses standard laptop IDE hard drives, you might be able to use Norton Ghost or simalar software to copy an image onto a donor drive and use that in the MW.

First and easiest, see if you can borrow someones USB external CD drive and try to boot from it to install the OS.

The 5205 will run Win95, 98, 2000, 2000 Advanced Server (hey, I had to play with it), Windows XP SP3.

If you use Windows XP, you must use a mounting bracket for CPU airflow concerns. Win98 will run cool and you can mount it right to vehicle carpet (mounting bracket and proper mounting techniques strongly encouraged).

It took a few attempts, but I was able to use my USB CD drive to load XP onto my 520.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”