CDM750 Power Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Trm70c

CDM750 Power Question

Post by Trm70c »

We have a UHF CDM750 that will turn on and off with the ignition (it is wired to a switched source) when the external speaker is hooked up, but it won't turn on when the speaker isn't hooked up. Just a normal speaker on pins 1 and 16 I think, nothing hooked to the ignition sense pin (10?). Whats weird is we also have a CDM1550 and I had to run a fused jumper from pin 10 to the switched power source to get it to follow the key. Any ideas? It's not really a problem I was just wondering why using an external speaker would cause one to behave this way and not the other. (The 1550 has an external speaker as well).
Thanks
Tyler
AEC
No Longer Registered

Re: CDM750 Power Question

Post by AEC »

Sounds like your external speaker does not have pin #10 filled with the Ign. sense line, so when inserted into the Accy. connector, you can't use the ignoition
to turn the radio on or off.

You should have two wires for the speaker, a jumper for the EMR. switch(jumper), and one for ignition sense.

CPS set for on/off with ignition and no ignition sense lead = no power, Unless your CPS is set up for either.

You probably have the CPS set for ignition only, so you can't power up the radio when that lead is not used.
Trm70c

Post by Trm70c »

No, what I meant was that if the speaker is plugged into the radio on, key turned to on = radio turns on. Key turned to off = radio turns off. When you unplug the speaker ( only 2 wires 1 on 16 the other on 1) the radio will come on by a push of the power button only. Your post has gotten me wondering if something is jumpered in the accessory plug itself.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

The CDM normal configuration is no jumbers or plugs on the accessory connector.

Default programming is on/off AND follow ignition, so it should by default, do both.

If it is NOT programmed that way, it will do one, the other or neither depending on how it is programmed. The most COMMON failure I see here in the shop is a defective IC input which causes the ignition circuit to not work correctly.

Your external speaker may also have an igntion sense wire going to pin #10, that would explain the difference in wiring.

CDMs do NOT require an emergency jumper for any function unless you have an external emergency button installed.

Why your speaker is causing this issue, I can't be certain, nothing should be connected to the speaker pins except the speaker.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”