Federal Signal PA300 and Priority alert

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mavericknet
What radios do you own?: HT1250 VHF, CDM1550 UHF

Federal Signal PA300 and Priority alert

Post by mavericknet »

Members of my ambulance company don't consider Hi-Lo to be anything other than a car alarm. But it's the standard they seem to love to buy when they get sirens. I know they make the PA300 with a Priority siren tone (kinda like hyper-yelp). Now here's the question... anybody know what to replace in or to make a Hi-Lo PA300 sound the Priority tone instead of Hi-Lo.

Thanks in advance
kb9rre

pa300

Post by kb9rre »

i have manual on pa300 and there is nothing in there about it
mavericknet

I figure its gotta be circuitry

Post by mavericknet »

They're two seperate models, but I can't figure it being much more than some transistors and maybe a microchip difference. But I can't get my hands on a "spare" to tinker with... at least not soldering wise.
kb9rre

pa300

Post by kb9rre »

i have a friend of a friend who works for federal i will see if he can get me some info.
Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay G. »

I called Federal a while back. The boards in the two units are totally different. From what the tech told me, BUY A NEW ONE! Thats what I did!
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Steps to remove the HiLo sound from you unit's PA300 siren:

1: Loosen and remove the Federal Signal siren from it's mounts.

2: Unplug the Federal Signal Siren.

3: Insert Whelen HFS1A siren and Whelen adaptor harness to plug into existing PA300 wires.

4: Use a haligan or pick-head axe and relieve any built up stress on the unit from step one.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

That's pretty harsh to one very hard working series of sirens. I'll bet there are more Federal's out there than whelen units. :-?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

perhaps, but the whelen ones don't sound like they are an ambulance moving through the country side of France...

DEEEEE dooooooooo DEEEEEEE dooooooooooo DEEEEEEE doooooo.

I sometimes turn that one on when I on our rescue just as a nerve relaxer. It makes us all laugh.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

apco25

Post by apco25 »

Its not even close to the hee-haw that europe used at one time. They accomplished that by cycling actual air horns to make that tone - pre electronics siren days.

I'll stick to my federal... I've trusted my life to PA300 and Q series, they get the job done.

PA300 sounds pretty damn good in 200w mode on an ambulance chassis :wink:
mavericknet

Thanks Jay G

Post by mavericknet »

All of our f/r vehicles (except our newest) have PA300s, the drivers whine about having that hi-lo... when they went and bought a replacement for a coffee spill they got the same damn model (w/HiLo).... go figure.. anyway, thanks bunches for shooting down hope of stopping the whining... not that they wouldn't start whining about the radios not having lcd displays....
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Even better... Drop in a Whelen X-Ecutor. You get wail, yelp, piercer, "The Q Sound", a grover airhorn, and a ringing bell. And it draws only 10 amps as opposed to a few hundred that a regular Q draws.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

apco25

Post by apco25 »

But the Q is just cool if you're out to make some LOUD noise! :lol:
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Interestingly enough, the dB out of of the Federal Q is actually less than that of a Whelen X-Ecutor. I am not a salesman but I have been working on specs for our new rescue and have been researching this stuff.

Also, think about this. On a Federal Q, the sound comes out all around the sides on a vertical plane up, down, and to the sides, NOT out the front. Yea, it is loud as hell, but that sound isn't all going where you need it. What good is sound that goes up into the sky and into the pavement and into the trees. Oh yea, that sound that goes up also goes straight into the cab of the vehicle.

The X-Ecutor's sound is all projected out the front of that nice big speaker and at a higher dB than the Q in the first place. And the whole 10 amp thing, thats nice too. You don't watch the volt meter drop when you hit it.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

apco25

Post by apco25 »

You are right. The Q is old technology and like so much of the fire service enjoys a place of tradition within it. I don't think anyone out here has a whelen unit at all. Its all either Q or dual speaker electronic sirens.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The first thing we learned back in Fire I:

"A hundred years of tradition unhampered by progress."
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

nmfire10 wrote:....a grover airhorn, and a ringing bell....
Does this come standard with the Ocar the Grouch officer in the front seat? :)

Those new Whelen sirens are LOUD. Pretty cool, but nothing will replace stepping on the Q foot pedal and watching all the lights dim out in the truck...
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

I've got the "Priority" selected on my SmartSiren, instead of Hi/lo, but it will drive you insane if you leave it on for more then clearing an intersection gettting a vehicle to move. It's a very obnoxious sound. :o
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
jim

Post by jim »

I got a hundred bucks that says that even a 10 year old PA300 will outlast any new Whelen siren by four times the life (if installed properly).

The only reason you find Whelen as OEM on many vehicles is the fact that they literally give it to the manufacturers for just about nothing. The other manufacturers have good products- and they know it. They don't give things away for peanuts. If y'all noticed, there are many more Federal and TOMAR lighting/audible packages showing up on the higher-line type ambulances and fire engines now.

As for the "fake Q".......burn it! It's not nearly as penetracting as the Magnum dual tone sirens. They can preach all they want about dB (all four standard weighings) ratings and such, but the electronic Q is a joke. Granted, the Q2B pulls 350 amps on startup and maintains a 160 amp draw when up to speed, there is no substitute for it. Many have tried and they all have failed.

Code 3 sirens: they're powerful and have a bunch of cool sounds, features and other toys, but......keep a spare one or two on hand at all times.

The GE Power Call/Siren and the old Motorola T1300A (both 58 watts) are still louder than most of the modern ones when driving the same type speaker- and they sound so cool!

The bottom line: if you want your PA300 to sound different, buy another siren or take it apart and start playing around altering resistances. You can make some really unique sounds like this and chances are, you want want the new one.

I'll always recommend the North American Signal Co. S!-75 series units with the "RIOT" mode. They're pricey, but you'll have a penetrating sound unlike anyone else around.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

And they are ALL made by Sound-Off! ;)
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

jim

Post by jim »

We don't need smart asses out here. Some of you just can't take it when somneone knows more than you. Maybe some day you too will do this work 70 hours a week an own a successful business that specializes in this type of equiment. Just because I DO INTERNAL REPAIRS AND SEE WHAT IS INSIDE and some people obviosly aren't up to this (or have no clue whats going on- these guys I call "butt-splicers" ), there is no need to be sarcastic because I know something that you don't!

And for the record, wise guy, no- Sound-Off doesn't make them. They are produced in-house.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Dude, you need to take a few deep breathes and relax. Every time you post, it something angry and bashing. "This product sucks. Why would you ever buy that. I am smarter than all of you. You don't know anything, etc etc." Perhaps there is some medication that can assist you.

You will never live down the flasher thing because you are simply wrong about it. Brag about yourself all you want. I don't care. Everytime you speak, it makes me take what you say less and less seriously. I am begining to find it funny. Maybe you shouldn't be working 70hrs a week, I think it is starting to get to you. I take that back. It HAS gotten to you.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

apco25

Post by apco25 »

I agree the $100 post. PA300 will last just about forever!
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Our cleantop cars have PA300's, most still being the old silver face '300's....in two years, I've seen one particular PA300 out last 18 Code 3 V-Con sirens...no s&%t!! I kept track of how many were replaced compared to my control sample '96 Crown Vic.

Anyone who bets against the PA300 is a foolish man.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
motorolamonster911

Nothin beats a Whelen

Post by motorolamonster911 »

I do agree that the PA-300 is a very well made siren, but the stupid Hi-Lo tone gets on my nerves. :evil: I have a Whelen 200W, hands-free with wail, yelp, piercer, airhorn, radio re-broadcast ,back-lit functions, and a pa mic that gets moved around from vehicle to vehicle, and it has outlasted any Federal Siren I have ever seen. No doubt. Stick with a Whelen. :D
MotorolaMonster911

"If at first you don't succeed, read the manual" - Montgomery's Maxim
"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”