Server/Client Setup

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr061
was KB9KST

Server/Client Setup

Post by jmr061 »

Anyone here and IT person that wouldn't mind walking me through how to setup a home network with a intranet server. I have a desktop setup with Windows Server 2003 and SQL 2005 and several clients that run XP and WIN7. I have tried looking this up but it just isn't working for me.

What is the best method, setting a local domain or?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jason
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Re: Server/Client Setup

Post by bezking »

What exactly do you want to accomplish, i.e. what will you be using it for? A domain is nice because anyone can log into any machine in the house, etc... but at the same time it does take some time to set up - but it is nothing that can't be done. At home I have a 2k3 box running domain and file server operations and it runs great.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

One use would be media files sharing. The main reason for doing this is to test a police video system that uploads to a server and then runs client software on the client computers. That software must run on a server with sql. From playing with it, looks like it must have domain logins to access it.

Jason
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

More details. SQL 05 can be set up for domain logins only, or for domain + local authentication. If you don't have to get into the quagmire that is Active Directory, don't!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Well, to start on the server:

Run "dcpromo" to start the wizard to create a new domain.

From there, you can create user accounts. I will warn you that Active Directory is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

If you just want to share stuff between computers you do not need to make a domain. Simply use the manage computer MMC snapin, add your users/groups, and assign your permissions, and share your folders.

Whatever your using MSSQL for would help us help you best as to which way to go.

If you want, drop me an IM tomorrow and I'll help you out a bit.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I am setting up a system at home to play with the Panasonic Arbitrator video system. It requires a server with 2003 on it and sql 2005.

Jason
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

You need to have DNS set up in order to use Active Directory though.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Alex was kind enough and took the time to walk me through and i have the server up and running. So the basics are done.

I'm still trying to figure out all the benefits of running a server though. LOL

Jason

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”