Orange Spectra?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Orange Spectra?

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

At last the time has come to disembowel 150 or so Spectra RR radio's. While taking the MLM out of one I noticed that the RF chassis was painted Orange as oppose to the usual brown or in most cases not painted at all. I am trying to determine which dates which color was used. Any ideas? I know it is trivial, but I see that there is a lot of interest for ODD Motorola products, and this could be one.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Re: Orange Spectra?

Post by com501 »

At the price of used RR Spectras on eBay, why are you destroying them?
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

Exact dates? I have no idea

but the nonpainted ones I've come across were old 1991 units.

everything else including Astro units were all brown.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Are the board numbers the same? Specifically the MLM?
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

com501 wrote:Are the board numbers the same? Specifically the MLM?
No, they aren't the same. The MLM on every Railroad Spectra I've seen is like R1.14 or something REALLY low, very limited capabilities.
akardam

Post by akardam »

The only orange spectras I ever remember seeing were some old ex-Fedex units, but it was years ago so I don't remember if it was just the outside that was orange, or what.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

com501 wrote:Are the board numbers the same? Specifically the MLM?
The MLM is different, I have one floating around here somewhere....
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

You are right about the MLM version, these are v.1.3. The unpainted chassis is from 1992, I will look for code dates on the rest. The brown ones I find are from 1999 to 2002. As far as selling the Spectra's our agency destroys ALL our old equipment, they don't want to bother with selling or auctioning off the equipment. The last series of portables, HT1000's and MT2000's all went out with holes drilled in the middle of the radio. BTW these Spectra radio's are only good for parts since the MLM and CB are only functional with an AAR control head without major modification and replacement of the MLM.
nh7cy
What radios do you own?: one of each

Post by nh7cy »

I remember selling a Spectra with an orange chassis a few years back. It was an 800mhz A7. It was indeed an ex-Fedex radio. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
Jason B
Operating VHF AM mobile - On the air, In the air.
kd7tqn

Post by kd7tqn »

RADIOMAN2002 wrote:You are right about the MLM version, these are v.1.3. The unpainted chassis is from 1992, I will look for code dates on the rest. The brown ones I find are from 1999 to 2002. As far as selling the Spectra's our agency destroys ALL our old equipment, they don't want to bother with selling or auctioning off the equipment. The last series of portables, HT1000's and MT2000's all went out with holes drilled in the middle of the radio. BTW these Spectra radio's are only good for parts since the MLM and CB are only functional with an AAR control head without major modification and replacement of the MLM.

what a shame to destroy some good radios!!!
Jason J. Hill
KD7TQN
Radio officer for the Mount Rainier Scenic Railroad
http://www.mrsr.com
Pacific Northwest Railroads
http://www.pnwrr.com
Walking_Catfish
New User
What radios do you own?: Too Many!

Post by Walking_Catfish »

This is an old thread but I will throw in my "2 cents" anyway (or maybe 1 cent in my case :o )

I work for a Class 1 railroad. I work in the diesel shop fixing locomotives. In our shop, we test and change locomotive radios all the time. Our guys and gals are not radio techs by any means (although I am -but they dont pay me to fix their radios so I don't).

We have one radio in each shop that is the "test" radio. If a locomotive comes in with radio problems, the guys and gals check the "test" radio out from the tool room. If this fixes the locomotive, the original radio is deemed bad and is replaced. If it does not, then the antenna system is repaired. In either case, the "test" radio is returned to the tool room. The "test" radio is painted bright orange so that it will not be left in the locomotive or otherwise get misplaced.

This is a rather crude approach, but it "works" when the people on the front line are not knowledgeable in two-way radio.
It'll be what it'll be... and thats ALL it'll be!
RADIOMAN2002

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

These Spectra's are painted orange on the inside. The actual chassis that would normally be used for a low/mid power mobile. They obviously were painted at the factory this way, as is the ones not painted at all.
Walking_Catfish
New User
What radios do you own?: Too Many!

Post by Walking_Catfish »

OK... Didn't realize that from the original post... :oops:

Let us all know if you ever get to the bottom of this.

Walking_Catfish
It'll be what it'll be... and thats ALL it'll be!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”