Ideas for a "stealth" antenna install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

Ideas for a "stealth" antenna install

Post by rrfd43 »

I got the old chevelle out and have been driving it a lot more but miss having my radio in it. My intention is to montor VHF channels in it, and just be capable of transmitting if necessary. The key problem is the antenna. I'm not drilling a hole in the 40+ year old lady, and clip ons are out of the question.

Does anyone have an idea for a hide away? A last resort is a cell phone stlye windo antenna. I have looked at the stick on wire ones, and also thought of the low profiles on the rear pacakge deck. Do any hide away or steal pro installers have an idea here?
alex
Administrator

Re: Ideas for a "stealth" antenna install

Post by alex »

rrfd43 wrote:I got the old chevelle out and have been driving it a lot more but miss having my radio in it. My intention is to montor VHF channels in it, and just be capable of transmitting if necessary. The key problem is the antenna. I'm not drilling a hole in the 40+ year old lady, and clip ons are out of the question.

Does anyone have an idea for a hide away? A last resort is a cell phone stlye windo antenna. I have looked at the stick on wire ones, and also thought of the low profiles on the rear pacakge deck. Do any hide away or steal pro installers have an idea here?
I would suggest looking around at Stico antenna's. There were some threads on here a long time ago about antennas that you can essentially tape to the inside of your bumper... They are not going to be excellent, but it sounds like it would keep the appearance of the vehicle and would work for what you want it to.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
Batwings21

Post by Batwings21 »

The bumper antenna will probably not work on a chevelle... I think they were made for newer cars only with plastic bumper fascia. However, if the chevelle has a stock antenna, stico might make a stock replacement that would fit in the original hole.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I was going to say the same thing - get a Stico disguise FM antenna. It will be a little shorter than stock. Comes with a matching stub and a splitter for the AM/FM and two-way. Work good. Last a long time.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Or the license plate antenna folks.... http://www.licenseplateantenna.com/
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

SlimBob wrote:Or the license plate antenna folks.... http://www.licenseplateantenna.com/
Totally cool. I knew it could be done after seeing how modern cars were built. My attempts failed. But, I've made aperture antennas that worked really well.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

The other idea that comes to mind is a DDRR (whoop-de-doo) on the underside of the car. This doesn't remove the "drilling" problem however, as you still have to get a coax to the antenna.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”