Noise From An International DT-466 on lowband

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Noise From An International DT-466 on lowband

Post by KitN1MCC »

The other Day. I was talking to A Friend Who work for North East utilities Radio shop. They are having trouble with noise from the New motors From what i gather The Solinoid for the injectors Run on 120 VAC and produce tons of noise
YoChief

Post by YoChief »

120 VAC on a diesel? Wadda they think of next.

Once had an install on a D-8 Cat bulldozer. That thing came back several times before the customer was satisfied.

Try running the A+ lead to a dedicated battery source, such as right to the battery. Then keep the ground run as short as possible, like right out of the back of the radio and ground it to the mounting bracket. Don't run it all the way back to the battery.

The hot lead for the control head, if the customer wants it to come on with the ignition could be trouble. Instead of running it to the fusepanel, take it to the battery also. Then use a selenoid activated from the ignition switch to close that circuit. Then your 12VDC going to the radio is also directly from the battery.

I've found most of the engine noise is picked up by the ground, not the hot. 8)
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

From what i gather they use the high voltage in the solinoidsa for injection due to high pressure fuel Rail.

and most of the noise is coming down the antenna run.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”