Advisor II Programming Cradle

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RESCUE161
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Too many!

Advisor II Programming Cradle

Post by RESCUE161 »

Just bought a cradle from MOL and it looks to be a stand-alone unit that connects directly to the serial port of the computer. No instructions were provided... I could be wrong, but it has a serial connection on the cradle, so I opened it up to find it had a circuit board with several components. This is not like the T900 cradle that I have, which has an RJ25 jack that is wired directly to the three pins - no circuit board.

I guess I'll find out in a few days whether it needs the UPI or not. If it doesn't, then I think it is a very good deal for the money.

Part number is RLN6361A and was $75.00 on MOL.

Edit: I noticed that the new Advisor cradle is not embossed with the Motorola logo. It also came with a 5VDC power supply that plugs directly into the cradle.
Scott
KE4FHH
Religion: Kills folks dead!
tvsjr

Re: Advisor II Programming Cradle

Post by tvsjr »

I think the UPI is dead. All of my programming cradles require it... but the more recent cradles for the M5, Adv2, etc. seem to be UPI-less...
acadiel
New User

Re: Advisor II Programming Cradle

Post by acadiel »

Even cradles from different manufacturers are going the integrated route. I have a Sun Telecom ST800 jig, and it's just simply a serial connection. It powers the pager enough to read/program it, etc, from the serial port.

I tried one of those "UPI" replacement cables on eBay (DB9 to RJ11), but couldn't get it to work with my Pronto cradle. However, the UPI still worked. So, there's still work to be done to replace the UPI. (The integrated cable probably works with other units, so I'm not sure I got a defective one.)

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”