Panasonic Toughbook Vehicle Installs

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sheldon

Panasonic Toughbook Vehicle Installs

Post by sheldon »

Ok, not sure whether this fits into the "Vehicle/Radio Installs" or "Computer/Technical Assistance", either way my question is as follows:

I have a four wheel drive vehicle which I would like to install a Panasonic Toughbook into for radio programming, GPS vehicle tracking and off-road mapping and I would like to know if any members here have installed Panasonic Toughbooks into their vehicles, specifically the CF-18 and CF-29 models.

Would also be interested in pictures of how the units are mounted and what hardware was required. Also, if members use them for GPS navigation, what software packages are being used?

Thanking you in advance !
Jim202

Re: Panasonic Toughbook Vehicle Installs

Post by Jim202 »

sheldon wrote:Ok, not sure whether this fits into the "Vehicle/Radio Installs" or "Computer/Technical Assistance", either way my question is as follows:

I have a four wheel drive vehicle which I would like to install a Panasonic Toughbook into for radio programming, GPS vehicle tracking and off-road mapping and I would like to know if any members here have installed Panasonic Toughbooks into their vehicles, specifically the CF-18 and CF-29 models.

Would also be interested in pictures of how the units are mounted and what hardware was required. Also, if members use them for GPS navigation, what software packages are being used?

Thanking you in advance !

I am surprised that you have no comments so far. I have used the CF29 in a couple of mobile installations.
There are several companies that make a mount for the CF29. I can't remember which company one I used,
but it had a lock so the computer couldn't be taken out very easy. It was mounted via a single pole mount
from a floor bracket that bolted under the passenger seat. easy to install, but you need to order a bracket
to fit you vehicle.

Word of caution, check with your local law enforcement boys about computers available to the driver. You
don't want to get caught using it while moving down the road.

The unit I had, was made to swivel around so that the passenger could use it. The pole was just to the left
front side of the passenger seat. Then an offset mount to hold the computer. It sort of mounted in front of
the center of the dash area where the radio and air controls were. The computer was high enough that the
passenger's legs were under the computer with some room to spare when it was swung around.

Jim
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I have a CF-30 with built in GPS in my E-250. No pictures, just a cargo van with a Gamber Johnson floor mount. Lund offers their mounts, built by Gamber and labeled under their name.

If your planning on going off-road, I would recommend something made out of metal and not a plastic "RAM" mount, you will pay more, but you will get more.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Check out:
Gamber Johnson
Havis Shields
Jotto Desk
Lund
Troy Industries

Those are you major manufactures for computer mounts and radio/light consoles. I've used a Gamber Johnson mount in a S10 Blazer and Suburban in off-road (not extreme) without any problems. I currently use Jotto Desk in my avalanche however I am using a three piece computer now so doesn't really compare (but still great results).

Unless you have a funky vehicle, all pretty much make vehicle (no holes drilled) mounts that use the seat bolt mounts.

As your looking you will find laptop mounts and computer specific docking stations. A docking station is the way to go, but will cost more (they are essentially 12vDC port replicators/chargers).

There are ten of thousands of toughbooks mounted in vehicles, you shouldn't have a problem.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
nickburns186

Post by nickburns186 »

Use quality equpiment from Gamber Johnson. Great quality and service. The docks are pricey, depending on what config you get, ie, dual passthrough vs. none. Having a large fleet of 19's and 30's/31's in the field, and using various other manufacturers at one point or another, always led back to Gamber. From a public safety perspective where almost anything can get broken in a vehicle, their products truly stand up!

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”