Converting a 5-pin Maxtrac to a 16-pin

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Converting a 5-pin Maxtrac to a 16-pin

Post by fireradio »

Is it possible? What about using components of Maxtracs that are on different bands?

What I'd like to do: I've got a low-band 5-pin Maxtrac that I'd like to make a 16-pin so I can use Quick-Call II decoding to trigger a relay.

I have a 16-pin UHF Maxtrac that I'm not using. Could I sacrifice components from the UHF Maxtrac to make the low-band do what I want?

Thanks!
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."
PETNRDX
What radios do you own?: Too many

Re: Converting a 5-pin Maxtrac to a 16-pin

Post by PETNRDX »

Yes, you can do that.
But you need Maxtrac LAB to do it.
Basically you blank and re-initialize the logic boards to match the model radio you have put the logic board into.
Some 5 pin boards will allow you to have 16 channels, and basic features, some will allow 32 channels.
So, you could pull the 16 pin from your UHF, and blank then init that for a full feature 32 channel with "signaling" in the low band radio, and put the 5 pin board in the UHF and blank the init it to be a basic 16 channel radio.
There are pretty good descriptions on how to do this on this board or on Repeater-Builder.
REMEMBER to either go thru the tuning process and write down ALL the tuning values for each radio before you start, or you will
have to re-tune both radios.
I recommend the re-tuning, but if you don't happen to have a service monitor you can get by with copying the data, then
re-entering it.
Steve K.
fireradio
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Various APX series

Re: Converting a 5-pin Maxtrac to a 16-pin

Post by fireradio »

Thanks for the info, Steve... very helpful!
OSS
"Keeping public safety on the air..."

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”