IP Site Connect Questions

Moderator: Queue Moderator

d119

IP Site Connect Questions

Post by d119 »

Question for the group on MotoTRBO IP Site Connect.

I'm an ASTRO guy, and am very new to the MotoTRBO equipment but have been tasked with working with it as part of my job.

I have a customer who is interested in deploying an IP Site Connect system between two sites. System will be fully digital, no analog. The customer has their own IP-based 18GHz microwave backhaul already in place.

The customer is only licensed for one FB2 channel. Can IP Site Connect operate with both repeaters on the same frequency pair in the same general coverage area? In other words, there would be some degree of overlap in coverage between the two repeaters. I realize that IP Site Connect is not simulcast, but are there algorithms (RSSI, etc) that the network uses to decide which site to transmit from, or does IP Site Connect require a discrete frequency pair for each repeater in situations where there is a coverage overlap?

If someone could explain this to me, I'd appreciate it. I tried reading over the IPSC planner but either I was tired when I was reading it, or it didn't specifically address this situation.

Thanks in advance.
Bill_G

Re: IP Site Connect Questions

Post by Bill_G »

Use different freqs if there is overlap. Clobber is clobber.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

IP Site Connect lights up all sites...there is no radio affiliation in the system to allow for selective site transmission. So, different frequencies is a requirement.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
d119

Post by d119 »

That's what I initially figured. Thanks for the confirmation, this gives me some information to pass on to the customer.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

On the plus side, site connect can bring far flung buildings together very easily. It has proven to be excellent for hospital and corporate security, and facilities management. On the downside, the customer can drive you nuts as they decide and redecide and redecide how to configure their talkgroups, individual id's, and alias lists. It is a labor of love.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

Bill_G wrote: It is a labor of love.
Labor of love is OK, as long as it is at shop rates.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

(snort)
Ali Abbassi

Post by Ali Abbassi »

in 4 levels TDMA modulation , for the receiver to decode propley , there must be at least 30dB RF level differential between the two sites on the same freq,

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”