How to make a CD that has DOS for a bootable OS

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim202

How to make a CD that has DOS for a bootable OS

Post by Jim202 »

OK guys, don't laugh. Have 2 old computers that don't have a floppy drive but do have a CD. I can change the bios to be able to look at the CD drive to boot from. Problem is I don't have a CD that has a DOS operating system on it that is bootable.

How do you make a CD bootable and have it use the DOS for the operating system? Once I get that started, then I can get to the hard drive and try to salvage it.

One of the computers is an NEC Versa 2400CD. The other is a Toshiba Satellite 220CDS. Both have been used for the older Motorola radio programming. Loaned them out and they both came back dead.

Don't need Windows running on either of them. Any and all suggestions will be welcome.

Jim
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: How to make a CD that has DOS for a bootable OS

Post by escomm »

http://www.bootdisks.us/ms-dos/5/ms-dos ... mages.html

Not sure how old they are but when my program laptop HDD was corrupted I was able to use a USB to IDE adapter and just mounted them right in XP.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”