Electrical problem

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

woody

Electrical problem

Post by woody »

I have installed a dual band spectra in a Dodge Durango. when the PTT is pushed to talk it causes eletrical items to come on such as the windshield wiper and sometime blows fuses. Could this be a grounding problem.
Jay G.
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay G. »

It could be a few things:

Where did you take power from? Direct from battery?
Where is antenna? How much Tx power? Is antenna properly tuned?
It may be interfering with the trucks computer.
Jay Goldmark, EMT
Ex-Captain, Woodmere Vol. Fire Dept.
Fire District Communications Supv.
KC2ZHI Amateur Radio Operator
Licensed Master Electrician
Owner, Top Class Electric, LLC.
Woodmere, Long Island, NY

"Enjoy Life, it's not a dress rehearsal !!!"

ExKa|iBuR
Suspended TFN

Post by ExKa|iBuR »

Probably RF into the computer as the above post stated.

I had a 1990 Olds Ciera that, whenever I keyed up on my VHF radio, the radio (AM/FM) would go weird, the car would accelerate suddenly, only when I'm in cruise control (!!), and the Service Engine Soon light would come on. (acted as a nice "ON-AIR" thing)

Funny though..ONLY my Radius Mobile, and ONLY into a 3db gain antenna, and ONLY in the center of the trunk. Any other combination of radio, antenna or location (and frequency), it wouldn't do it.

Mike
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

It is due to that fact it is a Dodge.

I put a 100 Maratrac in a Dodge Stratus 2000 I am surprsed the radio did not make the car go Boom
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

I'm not sure where the computer is in your car, but the transmitter may be too close to it. Either that or there may be a problem in the antenna installation that is causing a lot of RF to leak into either wires going to the computer or the computer itself. I had a like problem in a Jeep Cherokee but when I moved the radio to the other side of the back all the problems stopped. BTW, is this a dash mount or a remote mount spectra? You said radio and not radios so I am assuming that you are only talking about a remote mount.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
woody

Post by woody »

Thanks for the info. I will start tracking the problem down.
Will

Post by Will »

Some causes;
Antenna mounting and lack of a proper ground at the antenna mount and lack of proper and enough ground plane. Also poorly shielded coax cable (ie; Radio Shack).

High reflected power due to an incorrect antenna or mounting.

Poor or too long of a ground lead on the radio. Radio main power NOT connected DIRECT to the battery.
izzifureal

Post by izzifureal »

what i always did with regards to grounding and antennas, was to ground everything to 1 point so there was no chance of difference in grounding, and i always put the antenna in last. i did this because i would use a mag mount to determine where it should go with the least chance of rf interference. with me, it was fords that presented a great problem, especially the higher frequencies and higher outputs. i never told the customer where the antenna would be. looks in an install are one thing, but saftey and function are more important. keep your antenna cables as far from data paths and comp modules as possible to begin with. rf bleed can be a :o
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

I would go with some of the guys above, poor grounding of the antenna. You have to watch this, because if you are not getting a ground, a transmitter failure could occur in your radio when using a ground plane antenna that is not properly grounded.

Will is an expert and I think he hit most of the places to look. Let us know what you find.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”