Aeroflex 3920 (Wowbagger) question

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

3-of-2-unimatrix-1

Aeroflex 3920 (Wowbagger) question

Post by 3-of-2-unimatrix-1 »

I must be missing something.

Spanking new 3920.

Was the box deliberately designed to NOT have volume/squelch controls ?

I cannot believe a "service monitor" was designed without the ability to
capture off the air modulation for human ears !! Heck, I can't even pick
up/decode P25 audio (which I could do on the Mot/GD 2670).

The closest "feature" I saw was a delayed recording of inbound transmit
audio, being replayed via the sig gen, and sent to the subscriber DUT.
This is not "real time audio" though.

Please tell me this expensive piece of test equipment is able to receive
my local FM stereo station when sitting on the bench, and not being used
for service.

What are the steps to receive live signals on the speaker ??
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Aeroflex 3920 (Wowbagger) question

Post by Wowbagger »

Volume/squelch: push the button under the spinner - that will give you volume and squelch.

You also need to select that demod gets routed to the speaker. I don't have a unit in front of me (and I wasn't the lead on the 3900 family so unlike the 120 and the 2975 I don't know it like the back of my hand) but IIRC press Utils, and the speaker routing is under there.

The UK team and the US team have different views on how to design an instrument.

(however, believe it or not, we have some customers who really DON'T want the box making ANY noise - Irene's Flowers, or Flowers By Irene, or something like that.)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
3-of-2-unimatrix-1

Re: Aeroflex 3920 (Wowbagger) question

Post by 3-of-2-unimatrix-1 »

aah yes, the "ASSIGN" key ... thank you!

(had to search the pdf manual for "volume", and "next").

Wowbagger wrote:Volume/squelch: push the button under the spinner - that will give you volume and squelch.

You also need to select that demod gets routed to the speaker. I don't have a unit in front of me (and I wasn't the lead on the 3900 family so unlike the 120 and the 2975 I don't know it like the back of my hand) but IIRC press Utils, and the speaker routing is under there.

The UK team and the US team have different views on how to design an instrument.

(however, believe it or not, we have some customers who really DON'T want the box making ANY noise - Irene's Flowers, or Flowers By Irene, or something like that.)

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”