Possibly bricked XTL

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

WB4JGI
was whitstu

Possibly bricked XTL

Post by WB4JGI »

I've got a UHF high power XTL5000 that was running 15.00.09 and I attempted to upgrade it to 15.00.10 and now it is stuck in a FL 01-90 loop and displays Maintenance Mode Remote Device. I tried re-syncing the control head and even swapping control heads to no avail. Looking at the flash log at the end of this failed session the codeplug was upgraded along with the control head software. Has Moto issued a FSB or fix on this other than send to depot?
Last edited by WB4JGI on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stu
resqguy911

Re: Possibly bricked XTL

Post by resqguy911 »

You want the good news or the bad news?

XTL Mobile firmware 15.00.10 was issued to solve the problem you appear to have experienced...

The last FSB I can find is for R14.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

Oh fantastic. Yet another fagged up firmware release. I had my doubts when I pressed the OK button to upgrade. I guess I should have followed my instinct and not upgraded. And to think I was upgrading the radio to latest firmware in order to sell it, guess that won't be happening for quite some time if ever.
Stu
Astro Spectra

Post by Astro Spectra »

How long did you wait? These software updates can takes ages like 20+ minutes ...
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

I usually have nothing but problems when doing mobile firmware updates. I have all the different OEM cables.. Front , rear , usb, serial..

Portables now usually have no problems.
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

Ok, got it fixed. What I had to do was use a serial cable on the TIB of the drawer unit, put the radio into flashzap mode through the control head buttons. Then I told the CPS to upgrade the radio, it of course said it couldn't communicate, so I let it do the recovery process. After 15 minutes the upgrade log came back and said it upgraded the Host/DSP and Nautilus. Powered the control head off and back on and the radio is working now.

Sorry I forgot to give all credit to n7maq for suggesting this idea via a PM last night.

Wonder if I can use this same procedure to downgrade the Host/DSP to version 12?
Stu
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

WB4JGI wrote:Ok, got it fixed. What I had to do was use a serial cable on the TIB of the drawer unit, put the radio into flashzap mode through the control head buttons. Then I told the CPS to upgrade the radio, it of course said it couldn't communicate, so I let it do the recovery process. After 15 minutes the upgrade log came back and said it upgraded the Host/DSP and Nautilus. Powered the control head off and back on and the radio is working now.

Sorry I forgot to give all credit to n7maq for suggesting this idea via a PM last night.

Wonder if I can use this same procedure to downgrade the Host/DSP to version 12?

Maybe it's because it's too early in the morning after a bad night and a travel trip half way across the country by an airplane flight that was delayed, but I can't seem to recall reading anything about putting the radio into the "FLASHZAP" mode. Can you or n7maq provide the information on the control head button strokes to do this? It would probably be of great interest to the entire group. My bet is this is some undocumented fix procedure that the poor software geeks at mother M figured out and didn't put in the service manual. Again maybe I missed it.

Then again, it could be in some simple FSB that many of us either don't see or no one told us about so we could search it out.

Jim
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

right most soft key plus the orange button on powerup IIRC
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

escomm wrote:right most soft key plus the orange button on powerup IIRC

Thank you Jeff.

Jim
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Sorry it's the left most one and the orange button on power up, made sure out in the shop today
n3obl

Post by n3obl »

Well i tried everything in this topic and my 5000 is still bricked. Any other suggestion before i try and depot it. If anyone knows someone whom might be able to recover it, contact via PM.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”