XTS4000

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

databurst6o
New User

XTS4000

Post by databurst6o »

I was interested in maybe buying one of these off ebay. Never got a chance to play with one and I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on them. Hows the audio? Anyone have any complaints? I've seen them in VHF and UHF, do they make 800's as well?
thank you, david
jmr061
was KB9KST

Re: XTS4000

Post by jmr061 »

I had a VHF one for a long time. I liked it. The audio seemed fine. They didn't make 800 units that I know of. Just VHF and UHF lo I believe. Keep in mind they don't put out the full power of a XTS2500 or 5000 though. VHF is rated at 2 watts.

Jason
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

I have one and I love it... it's an excellent radio for what it is, as long as you keep what it is in mind. They are not a replacement for a real radio.

They are very handy for simplex surveillance or when you want to be incognito. If I was lucky enough to live in one of the cities that is down in a valley surrounded by mountains, and all the radio systems were on those mountains, it would be perfect.

With that being said, I would stick to something like an XTS5000 or Astro Saber if the above doesn't apply to you.
Jake
gopher

Post by gopher »

im surprised they didnt make and 800 ones. a friend of a friend said they are cool, but the output tx power suckes, which made it limited in what you can use it for. Cool toy though
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

If using one as your primary radio (ie - a full 8+ hour shift), then you will find out very quick that the battery life really isn't the greatest.

Then again, in a package as small as the 4k, who would expect it to be ? Personally, if I'm using a radio though, I'd like it to at least last me my shift.

Great as a fast-use / quick grab unit, but not something I'd depend on ALL DAY out in the field.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

gopher wrote:im surprised they didnt make and 800 ones. a friend of a friend said they are cool, but the output tx power suckes, which made it limited in what you can use it for. Cool toy though
Plenty of us have bugged them about an 800 model- it ain't happening. The radio was developed primarily for NTIA users, who aren't big on that band.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”